Overview. In this assignment, you select a mentor text that interests you and develop a critical analysis of it, using your interpretation of the work as informed by selected concepts from the readings.
Choose a Mentor Text. A mentor text is defined as a work of communication that is used to inspire or generate creative work. Your mentor text should be relevant, interesting and important to you.
Choose a Medium: Select one of the following options for producing your LEAP #1. Find a set of digital tools to use for this project at the Create to Learn Design Studio.
- Compose a blog post
- Compose a short video
- Compose a podcast
Whatever medium you choose, your creative work will provide a summary and critical analysis of the mentor text, developing an interpretation of the work as informed by concepts from the readings.
Consider the Five Critical Questions
- Who is the author and what is the purpose?
- What techniques are used to attract and hold attention?
- What lifestyles, values and points of view are represented?
- How might different people interpret the message?
- What is omitted?
Compose and Share. Consider your target audience as members of this class plus other educational and library professionals with interest in the subject matter of your mentor text. Produce a complete work by Friday, February 15. Upload the work to your blog and tweet a link using the #EDC534 hashtag.
Criteria for Evaluation (150 points)
- You have composed a high-quality work that combines critical analysis with careful description of the mentor text content and format, quoting from the work as appropriate
- You have used at least one concept or ideas from the readings that help you offer original insight on the work.
- Your work is well-organized, offering an authentic interpretation of the mentor text. You have expressed a personal and professional stance using reasoning and evidence through your critical analysis. Your work inspires intellectual curiosity in the content of your mentor text.
- Your work demonstrates a strategic understanding of key features of the medium you have chosen (blog, video, podcast).