LEAP 1. The Critical and the Creative.
In this assignment, you listen to a podcast by Morgan Jaffe and offer a critical analysis of it, using your interpretation of the work as informed by selected concepts from the readings.
About the Podcast
“Burst Your Bubble” is a media literacy podcast series created by Morgan Jaffe. You’ll listen to one episode, using it as a mentor text to examine the genre of the podcast and consider the nature of digital authorship in relation to the pedagogy and practice of media literacy. Students will select one episode from the list provided by the instructor.
- Hobbs, R. Create to Learn, Chapters 4 and 5 (pp. 45 – 86) and Chapter 8 (pp. 123 – 137)
- Pangrazio, L. (2016). Reconceptualising critical digital literacy. Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education 37(2), 163–174.
Create to Learn: Compose a a blog post that provides a summary and critical analysis of the mentor text and offer a critical analysis of it, using your interpretation of the work as informed by concepts from the readings.
Criteria for Evaluation
- You have provided a high-quality summary of the podcast, using careful description of its content and format, quoting from the work as appropriate.
- You have analyzed the podcast by selecting and applying concepts from the readings that help you offer original insight on the work.
- Your writing is engaging and well-organized, offering an authentic interpretation of the podcast and expressing a personal and professional stance using reasoning and evidence. You have used three hyperlinks and one image in your blog post and included a Works Cited list in APA format. Expected length: 1000 – 1500 words.