AGENDA, February 28, 2018
- Renee reviews your learning
- View and discuss: My Digital Name, An Origin Story How is identity influenced by mass media and popular culture?
- Research is a Conversation. Pair-share activity. Use what you learned by taking 1 or 2 key ideas from Buckingham’s essay on identity and through dialogue, generate some possible research questions. Post your questions on this Google Doc as you work with your partner.
- Review homework assignment for next week
CLASS PARTICIPATION HOMEWORK: PLEASE COMPLETE THE ACTIVITIES BELOW BEFORE our next synchronous class on WEDNESDAY, March 6 at 7 pm.
- The Week 7 theme is Creative Collaboration: Why are partnerships so powerful when it comes to creating media?
- Take a look at a LEAP 2 project created by another team and notice some of the key content and features, including the use of images. Reflect on your thinking and feelings as you encounter their work. Then, offer a brief interpretation, including questions and ideas that the work communicated or raised for you. Post your interpretation on our Facebook Digital Authorship Closed Group, making sure to clearly identify the work you are commenting on.
- Hobbs, 2017. Create to Learn, Chapter 11 Vlogs and Screencasts. (pp. 187 – 203).
- Rish, R. M., & Pytash, K. E. (2015). Kindling the pedagogic imagination: Preservice teachers writing with social media. Voices from the Middle, 23(2), 37.
- Wise, J. B., & O’Byrne, W. I. (2015). Social scholars: Educators’ digital identity construction in open, online learning environments. Literacy Research: Theory, Method, and Practice, 64(1), 398-414.
- Create a vlog entry on this Flipgrid page to respond to the readings below where you identify 2 – 3 key ideas from the readings below and discuss them in relation to your personal and professional identity. After posting, view the vlog of another student and offer a brief video comment, with questions, feedback and response.
If you were unable to participate in the “live” synchronous class, please watch the recorded video and answer the question, “How is identity influenced by mass media and popular culture? What factors contribute to young people wanting a “new name”?